Friday, December 2, 2011

How often do people witness shooting stars that go all the way across the sky?

I know shooting stars occur every night. But usually if people witness them they see very tiny ones, not the huge ones that go all the way across the sky. I was wondering if anyone knew the actual statistics of how many people actually witness those really huge shooting stars that go all the way across the sky in their lifetime? If anyone could help me out that would be really helpful. Thanks.|||On 3/12/05, I watched one which took about 15 seconds to travel 90掳 along the horizon. At the end, it skipped three times across 8-foot swells of the Pacific Ocean.





The American Meteor Society keeps a log of fireball sightings. Unfortunately, their new log format is extremely slow, even at 30 Mb/s, and you have to look at individual reports to get any details other than the number of reports per event.|||all I ca tell you is that I've seen a few massive ones rarely enough,I saw about four massive ones towards the end of this year,but there were meteor showers the nights before and the moon would be red. Awesome stuff. I guess you'd have to stay out most of a whole night with a clear sky to see a good few.|||Im out observing all the time, believe me when i say that i myself have seen hundreds, so many i could not name. Many just happen with no warning and you cant trace them. Its how it is, no big deal. [ although i would like to be the next to predict the traction of a comit etc. Nothing yet , but one lives in hope ]. Have a good Newyear , all the best...|||my family and i saw one in december 1986. it went from east to west, and was visible from horizon to horizon. since both near horizons were tree covered, i suspect we saw it thru about 120 degrees of arc. very impressive. this happened in northern illinois near the city of st. charles.|||Not sure of the exact statistics but I know its rare|||For me personally, after the 1999 Leonid shower, it is 100%. Big, blue-white balls of fire leaving smoke trails ran from eastern horizon all the way across.


But in 1966 the Leonids were of all types. Big yellow-white ones, tiny yellow-gold ones in uncountable numbers everywhere, and a very few white ones leaving a trail of green sparks that faded quickly. I saw about 50,000 in just a few hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment