Thursday, November 24, 2011

Any good creative ideas for shooting in black and white?

I'm taking a photography class and im using a manual film camera, and im shooting in black and white. I have to shoot people and some of them with me in them also. Do you know any creative ways to shoot someone, like different angles, or shadows, or techniques. I gotta have a variety, it can't just be a person posing in every one. It doesnt have to have the whole person's body in it also, it could be just like someone's arm. Please any help would be great|||I took one many years ago. Of course, we didn't have any things we HAD to shoot. I think cemetarys are phenominal places to shoot in black in white. That's just my opinion though.





But to answers your photo, have someone put their hand, maybe mom or your old lady (with lots of rings/bracelets, on a white background just after sunrise or sunset (so thier shadow is on either side of it.) That would look pretty cool!|||I'm probably telling you something you already know, but one of the keys to b/w pix is light and dark contrast. Sometimes you can get that naturally, other times you have to light it appropriately. Since b/w has no color, the contrast is maybe the big thing.





Also subject.....sports photos are, I think, much more impressive in b/w. I'd kill, for example, to watch a football game----aggression, mano a mano, etc---in b/w on TV. Color "pansifies" it, no?





Use the contrast deal to sort of disguise what you are shooting. Make your viewer ask themselves, "Hmm, what is this-----Oh, WOW!"|||Alejandra Figueroa has a series where she shot black and white statues. It's really beautiful. You could possibly do something similar to her work only with humans instead.





Look here:


http://alejandrafigueroa.free.fr/gal/cor鈥?/a>|||Maybe you can find a female child model and get a birds-eye view of her twirling in a white dress. It will give a cool effect.


I've seen it before, Its hard to explain sorry.





Or maybe you can do something like these:


http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k80/kr鈥?/a>


http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp18/鈥?/a>


http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp18/鈥?/a>








Just some ideas=]|||Having failed this course and having a daughter to passed it with awesome skills - what your teacher is looking for is contrasts between black and white.





One of my teacher's favorite photos was one my daughter took for me when I threw the camera at her to head out for an appointment before I could complete my assignment. She put the camera on the camera tree stand and set it up to take a picture. She sat in the window sill and did a wonder picture with her as a shadow and light effect. I never did get that picture back.





Look for contrasting situations where the black and white are very obvious. Go creative in this class. I wish you lots of luck. I flunked because I did not understand what my teacher wanted and she had a heavy accent - so her verbal instructions were not always understood. She did not write down what she wanted either.|||For angles, one of my friends is a model. She has pictures from shoots and in a lot of them. Her photographer is like, laying on the ground while she leans over the camera, or leaned up against a wall. Try Standing from an open window and zooming in. They can look up or to the side. Hope this helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment