Wednesday, November 30, 2011

What is a good 40 cal. handgun to get for someone looking to start competition shooting?

I own a H%26amp;K 40 cal. handgun and enjoy shooting, but I don't like the long trigger pull on the H%26amp;K. I am looking into shooting at the competition level and need advice on a good handgun to practice on and possibly buy. Any ideas on what brands and types to try? I am not sure what brands are best for a beginner in competition shooting.|||Smith and Wesson M%26amp;P|||Beretta is great and so is the XDM. The 40 is great because it isn't as expensive and it has power. Some of my local Competitions don't like the 9mm because it won't knock down the targets that are being used. I would check the local rules and the type of guns that are recommended. Overall the 40 is a great choice over all shooting.





For serious shooting guns look at something you can light the lbs of pull for the trigger and watch the safety placement. The Beretta px4 storm is horrible because the safety flicks up and then you have your finger back down. There is a lot of different things to look for cutting time when in competition.|||I don't think .40 S%26amp;W is a good choice for competition shooting personally. The ballistic properties of that round don't interest me.





If I had to guess right now I would say the most popular COMPETITION pistol is the tried and true 1911 in .45 ACP.


Of course, there are many upgrades and add-ons for competition pistols and many people shoot competitively with other handguns (such as Glocks, H%26amp;K, Sig, etc).|||It would be a good idea to decide on which type of pistol competition you want to be in e.g. IPSC or IDPA, then go to a few matches, talk to the competitors, decide if that is what you really want to do, then buy what they use.





It would really suck to buy a gun for competition then find out it is the wrong one.|||Under normal circumstances you would never hear me say this but I would recommend a 9mm if you don't want to go the route of a 1911 in 45ACP.





The 9mm Para travels faster and provides less recoil therefor sight on target is faster.





There are quite literally thousands of 9mm pistols out there so it comes down to how much you are willing to spend and what feels best for you.|||If 40SW is subpar for competition, I wonder why SO MANY IPSC and IDPA shooters use it?





I'd go for the CZ 75 Tactical Sport.





http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-7鈥?/a>|||Why would you pick .40 S%26amp;W for competition shooting? Its expensive, and you get no advantage.





If I were you, get the Berretta 96, it shoots .40 S%26amp;W and is known for being very accurate, the 9mm version is what out troops use, if its good enough for them its good enough for us.|||What kind of competition are you wanting to get into?





Bulls eye shooting almost requires a single action type semi auto like the 1911.





Action Shooting tends to lean towards high capacity autos chambered for the 9mm.|||I am eventually going to get this:





http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/produ鈥?/a>|||Learn to shoot what you've already got.

No comments:

Post a Comment