Thursday, November 24, 2011

How can I best get photos of shooting flocks of meeses from a helicopter, a gyro?

So I love Sarah Palin, we will go shooting gaggles and flocks of meeses (havent you herd the pural for moose before?), from the Helicopter with our M16's.





When I am not looking into those stunning eyes I shall wish to get some snaps with my D3x (yes thank you, thank you) in the automatic and P modes, I'm quite an advanced operator!





Anyway LIST all the tips to get pro looking photos in this situation please?|||IF you can rent a gyro, by all means, go ahead. They weigh a ton, though - and I'm not exaggerating! I've taken aerial shots from tiny planes and heli's (without a gyro) and the heli is smoother than a plane, so I don't think you'll need one.


I did the shots at ISO 200 and 400 with lenses from 28mm to ~200 and a good proportion turned out well.





With a gyroscope hanging off your camera, you'll tire of it VERY quickly. Just keep a fairly high shutter speed (DoF is pretty meaningless when you're focussing near/at infinity) by holding the aperture open and you're sorted. Remember to keep bony bits off the helicopter superstructure to prevent engine/rotor vibration transmission. If you can shoot from a moving car, you can definitely shoot from a helichopter.





Your biggest enemy is the wind (I'm assuming you won't want any plastic in the way) and there's no preparing for it, brace your camera well against your body. We removed a window from a Cessna a couple of years back for some aerial shots of a factory development and even they turned out well enough to be printed at 20 x 16 (although only about 1 in 5 was sharp enough). With the glass in on the previous flight, I was plagued with oddball reflections (you can't hold the camera square to the glass) and problems with the optical quality of the glass.|||Please, fly over Russia. You know, that little neighbor to the west, see if they know how to shoot that shot.


Keep your Bering Straits, though!


And 'smile' a lot.|||Jeez, did you have to practise hard to become so silly or does it come naturally?

No comments:

Post a Comment