Wednesday, November 30, 2011

What advise can you provide for getting an 8 year old started in recreational pistol shooting?

I am looking for some intelligent advise from others on getting my 8 year old son involved in pistol shooting. I am an experience shooter and gun owner, but have not exposed my children to the sport very much. They have been exposed to the world of firearms though, and have been present when guns were out of the safe for cleaning, etc. My son (older than his siblings by many years) has been spoken to about not touching a gun unless I am with him, keep your finger off the trigger, etc. He and I have even been in a few gun shops, and found a pistol that fit his hands pretty well. I'm just not sure how to go about beginning the instruction process. When I taught my wife to shoot, I gave her a bit of verbal instruction on what to expect, then gave her a gun to start shooting. I would be interrested in anyone's advise on instructing a child in the sport of shooting. I would also be interrested in anyone's opinions, or personal experience with this. Thanks!|||It might be best to enroll him in a young person's gun handling course. Parents are not always the best teachers. I'm wondering if it is wise to start him with a pistol.





Most youngsters start off with a long gun to learn the rudiments. It's a lot easier from to transfer skills learned with a long gun to a hand gun than vice versa. I don't know why, it just seems to be that way esp. in the military.





Just my thoughts.|||try to go slow..you dont want to burst his head with ideals..ask him if thats really what he wants and then tell him what he wants to know.if he truly want to know..ask him if he wants to learn how to aim etc.teach him that and slowly move your way up the teaching ladder|||When I was 8 years old my father took me to a shooting range that had haystacks with balloons on them for targets. I nailed most of my targets the first time i shot a gun. Try to find a range like that, or on someone's property.|||All of these are good suggestions and your head and heart are in the right places. However, your best bet for organized schooling and hands- on training rest with the NRA. Go to the web site, www.nra.org. You can find locally sponsored, certified trainers working with young people, their parents and most times in conjunction with school teams.





The program is known as Eddie Eagle.





You won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment