Thursday, November 24, 2011

Is there an advantage to shooting in RAW format when shooting digital photos?

I am curious. My camera has the ability to shoot in RAW format, and Photoshop has the ability to edit this format. Is there any advantage to shooting in this format?|||Shooting in RAW gives you the most lee-way in post production, but it also adds extra steps as well. The biggest advantage in my opinion is it gives you all of the settings to choose that you could have done in camera. i.e. you can add or subtract sharpenning, you can make your black and white pic color, you can choose to convert to jpeg or tiff. Theres lots of things.





It also takes longer to do pretty much the same thing. So if your the kind of person that just has to tweak it, then I say go RAW. But if your the kind of person that just wants to keep it simple, just shoot large fine jpeg, or your cameras equivalent.|||usually the picture quality is much higher, as there is more data in the image.|||2 reasons, could be more





1. its an uncompressed format that gives the details to the last pixel





2. its good for those that dont nail exposure or white balance





a|||Adobe Camera Raw drags about another megapixel of information out of my D50, and reduces noise by probably an f-stop.





I have not really noticed the "extended tonal range" many people talk about, but I don't shoot many high-contrast pictures.





Your mileage may vary but I'd say it's definitely worth a try.





Hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment